The 2022 TCS New York City Marathon returned on Sunday, November 6th with more than 50,000 participants who ran in unseasonably warm temperatures through all five boroughs on the 26.2-mile course. Temperatures hovered around the mid-70s F and runners of all experience levels said the heat was a challenge.
Sharon Lokedi, of Kenya, won the women’s race and is the eighth person in New York City history to win her marathon debut. Evans Chebet, of Kenya, is the first man to win the New York City Marathon and the Boston Marathon in the same year since 2011. Daniel Do Nascimento, who had been leading the entire men’s race, collapsed 21 miles in.
This year’s edition of the New York City Marathon offered ordinary runners a rare opportunity to measure up to, and perhaps beat, celebrities like actor Ashton Kutcher or former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber.
Ashton Kutcher said he was exhausted, but it was worth it to raise money for the organization Thorn, dedicated to ending child sex trafficking.
“There was several times when I was running that I thought to myself, ‘You know what, there’s some kid out there that’s being abused right now, and if we can bring more attention to that, I think that we can make a difference,’” Kutcher said. His efforts raised more than $1 million for Thorn.
Among the famous runners who participated in this year’s race included Ellie Kemper of “The Office” and “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”; T.J. Holmes and Amy Robach of ABC’s “Good Morning America”.
Here are some of the finish times of this year’s celebrity marathoners:
- Marit Bjorgen, Olympic gold medalist in cross-country skiing: 3:08:52
- Matt James, former lead of “The Bachelor”: 3:46:45
- Meghan Duggan, Olympic gold medalist in hockey: 3:52:06
- Ashton Kutcher, actor and entrepreneur: 3:54:01
- Casey Neistat, YouTuber and filmmaker: 3:54:28
- Claire Holt, actress: 4:03:17
- Lauren Ridloff, actress from “The Walking Dead”: 4:05:48
- Zac Clark, former “Bachelorette” contestant: 4:08:10
- Chelsea Clinton, daughter of Bill and Hillary Clinton: 4:20:34
- J. Holmes, “Good Morning America” anchor: 4:25:31
- Monica Puig, Olympic gold medalist in tennis: 4:32:39
- Sierra Boggess, Broadway actress: 5:06:23
- Ellie Kemper, actress from “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”: 5:17:39
- Tiki Barber, retired Giants running back: 5:26:51